The most common questions we get from our clients
Most spray tans last roughly 7 to 10 days, though certain factors can extend or shorten that period.
No. Spray tan solution doesn't have any kind of sunblock in it. If you are going out, put on sunblock.
Exfoliate and shave the day before (or at least 8 hours before). This will get rid of any dead skin and provide a more even skin surface for the solution.
Avoid scented lotions, oils, and anything that could sink into your skin and make your new tan uneven.
Wear loose clothing in dark colors, preferably something that you don't care about, since it will get stained (especially if your solution has bronzer in it). The stain may wash out, but it's not guaranteed. Your bra should also be the loose variety (no sports bras), and you may even want to leave it off after your treatment.
Wait at least 5 hours (8 if you want to be safe) before showering. It's crucial to avoid any swimming or sweating, not to apply any products or moisturize, and not to exfoliate before this first shower. All of these things can make your spray tan uneven or streaky.
Avoid scented lotions, perfumes, astringents, and cleaning solutions with acid or peroxide.
Anything harsh or chemical will wear away your tan more quickly.
Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! Natural, fragrance-free lotions are best. This will ensure that your skin remains healthy and hydrated, and that your spray tan lasts longer. Speaking of which . .
While your spray tan is new, you'll want to avoid chlorinated water, as this can make the color fade faster. In addition, cut the amount of shaving you do down to a minimum, as this works as an exfoliant and will also make your tan fade. Once your tan has started fading naturally, you can resume most of your normal skincare regimen.
Pre and Post Tan Care
PRE and POST Tanning Tips:
To achieve the best results there are a few simple steps to follow before the tanning . As well as things you can do to maximize the life of your tan, keeping the appearance looking its best.
- Shower/bathe and exfoliate prior to the tanning session. Exfoliating prior to your appointment is the most important and crucial key step in achieving the best tan. (Pay close attention to problem areas such as knees, elbows and feet.) If you fail to exfoliate properly, it can have a negative impact on the results of the spray tan.
- When bathing, use a soap/bath gel that you can see through (transparent). White bar soaps and thick/creamy bath gels can have ingredients that will act as a barrier and can either neutralize the DHA’s reaction with the skin, or can result in uneven or splotchy tans. A Ph balancing soap is also a good option to use when bathing prior to the tan.
- Do not apply lotions, moisturizers, perfumes or anything with oil in it onto your skin before your spray tan. Use deodorant sparingly and little, to no make-up is preferable. These products can act as a barrier to the tanning solution, causing an uneven tan. When we have you in the tanning room, we will provide you with a barrier cream for your hands and feet protect your palms and to ensure a good blend and transition on the hands and feet.
- Shaving, facials, manicures/pedicures, hair coloring, waxing, or any other hair removal procedures should be done at least one day prior to your tanning session.
- Bring and wear loose-fitting, dark clothes and flip-flops immediately after the tanning session. Baggy T-shirts, sweat pants, long cotton sun dresses, etc.
- Avoid rubbing your skin with your hands until after showering.
- Stay away from activities that will cause you to sweat or get wet. This includes exercising, being in excessive heat, saunas, sex, swimming, bathing or showering, etc.
- Avoid touching skin to skin while developing, such as crossing legs when wearing shorts - it can build up heat and transfer the tanning agent resulting in a dark stripe on one leg, and a light stripe on the other. Another words, you can end up with a very uneven tan.
- When the recommended development time has passed, rinse off in the shower and use warm water to rinse off the solution and bronzer. Only rinse until you see the water is clear, then stop (this should only take a few minutes) - and pat dry. DO NOT MOISTURIZE UNTIL THE TAN HAS TOTALLY DEVELOPED. We recommend NOT to wait at least 12 hours after receiving your tan before moisturizing to ensure it has fully developed.
- Continue to avoid bar soaps and body washes with heavy moisturizers. Transparent body washes will continue to keep the ph levels stable and will result in a longer lasting, better appearance of the tan.
- Moisturize! We cannot stress the importance of this step. Moisturize at least twice a day! Keeping your skin hydrated is key to extending the life of your tan. Drink plenty of water, and stay hydrated inside and out. This will keep your tan radiant and will help with proper fading.
- Avoid applying products to your skin that contain alcohol, mineral oils, or anything abrasive such as a facial scrub - as these products can dry your skin, and wear the tan off prematurely.
- Use a good sunscreen! Protect your skin. We have given you a great color, now you can protect the skin from UV damage. Most sunscreen have a moisturizing affect as well.